Saturday, April 4, 2009

Weekly Geeks- April 4, 2009


April 2nd was International Children's Book Day. And April is National Poetry Month. In celebration, I have two lovely options for you this week:

Option A: Be a kid!
You could read a picture book (or two or three) and share what you read.
Write up a post sharing your favorite books from childhood
Write up a post about reading together with your child(ren)

I teach Kindergarten so I read a BUNCH of kids books! One of my favorite themes is the gingerbread man theme. First, we have a gingerbread man hunt at the beginning of the year to find the gingerbread man. This gets the kids familiar with the school and then at the end they get to eat the cookies. Then we send a letter out to all of the parents. We have them then forward that letter to family and friends around the world. Their job is to send our class postcards either saying that they "saw" the gingerbread man or pretending to be the gingerbread man. This is the first year I have done this and the kids LOVE it! They are so tickled when the postcard is to them and we have gotten them from all over the world.


We also read a bunch of different adaptations of the gingerbread man, starting with the one in our reading books. Here are some others that we read:















and this one is next on my list to get next year



11 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea - Watch you mail. I think there might be a Ginderbread Friend on his way.
    Your Frugal Reader Friend
    Debbie
    debdesk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that gingerbread hunt idea is wonderful! My boys super love Jan Brett's Gingerbread Baby. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this reminds me of The Stinky Cheese Man. My son and nephews could not get enough of that book!
    I wonder if it is still around..hum...

    ReplyDelete
  5. A gingerbread man hunt, that's priceless. You must be a popular teacher with all your great ideas. A truly charming post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, this sounds like a wonderful variation of a treasure hunt. What a great idea to use the pupils´ own contacts around the world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of a Gingerbread Hunt! I wish I had a teacher like you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. must be exciting to be in your class Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun idea! I'll have to add this to my bag of tricks ;-) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The gingerbread man sightings sound like fun! What a great example of inspiration through reading.

    ReplyDelete