Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Book Review- The Demon King and I

I just finished reading The Demon King and I by Candace Havens.

From the back cover:

The four Caruthers sisters are heiresses with privilege, wealth, beauty, and brains. But these party girls have something extra as well. As the Guardian Keys, possessors of an ancient family secret, they hold the fate of the world in their hands--between cocktails.

Gallery owner Gillian Caruthers is a sensation in the art world-- in this world, that is. In her other world she's called the Assassin, a real knockout with an affinity for snuffing out dimension-jumpers who foul up her personal space. She never expected to join forces with one. But when a plague of murderous demons plunges the earth into darkness, she has no choice but to get a little help from a being who knows his stuff.

Arath, the demon king, isn't quite the scaly thing she expected. In face, he's kind of hot--and a bit of enigma, if his strange past is any indication. In solving that riddle, as well as finding the cause for the sudden influx of mystical creatures on Earth, Gillian may just have to work more closely with Arath than she'd anticipated. And somewhere between the light and the darkness they might discover they have more in common than they imagined...

This is the first book that I have read by Candace Havens, although I have all of the Charmed books. I enjoyed the book for the most part. There was a lot of talk about portals and different worlds and different demons that I often got lost and confused in. But I enjoyed the characters a lot. I really liked Gillian. I could sense a warmth from her and there was a scene where she goes through the Taco Bell, that while its an extremely tiny scene in the story, it made me like Gillian even more. And Arath sounded so hot! I could totally picture him as the way he was written and I liked that he had a hidden softer side to him. And I really liked the sisters. The next book in the series, Dragons Prefer Blondes, is centered around another one of the sisters. I look forward to reading it.

I gave this book a rating of 3.5/5.

This book fulfills items in the following challenge:
Paranormal 999 Challenge: Misc (Guardians)

No comments:

Post a Comment