Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Book Review- Extraordinary

I just finished reading Extraordinary by Nancy Werlin for an Around the World Tour.

From Goodreads:

Phoebe finds herself drawn to Mallory, the strange and secretive new kid in school, and the two girls become as close as sisters . . . until Mallory's magnetic older brother, Ryland, shows up during their junior year. Ryland has an immediate, exciting hold on Phoebe, but a dangerous hold, for she begins to question her feelings about her best friend and, worse, about herself. Soon she'll discover the shocking truth about Ryland and Mallory: that these two are visitors from the faerie realm who have come to collect on an age-old debt. Generations ago, the faerie queen promised Pheobe's ancestor five extraordinary sons in exchange for the sacrifice of one ordinary female heir. But in hundreds of years there hasn't been a single ordinary girl in the family, and now the faeries are dying. Could Phoebe be the first ordinary one? Could she save the faeries, or is she special enough to save herself?

From the summary of the book, the plot seemed interesting.  And while it did hold my attention a little, I couldn't fully get into it.  The writing just didn't connect with me.  It made me feel distant which made me not really in touch with any of the characters.

And I didn't like the way that Mallory and Ryland treated Phoebe.  It was just awful.  And how she didn't stick up for herself!  I want to say that would be so untrue, but unfortunately I think there are so many young girls out there that get wrapped up in first love and are ignorant of how they're really being treated.

And I guess I kept waiting for some big action thing to happen, which it didn't really.  The ending was okay, and made sense and did correctly show that Phoebe really was extraordinary.

I gave this book a rating of 3/5.

Extraordinary will be released on September 7, 2010.

This book fulfilled an item in the following challenges:
2010 100+ Reading Challenge: 115
2010 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 84
ARC Reading Challenge 2010: 81

*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Around the World Tours.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry to hear that the book wasn't as good as you'd hoped. I loved Impossible so I was so excited to find out about this one. I still plan to read it (I'm participating in an ARC tour) but I can't help but wonder if I'll like it because of the flaws. Thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete