Saturday, August 28, 2010

Book Review- Paranormalcy

I just finished reading Paranormalcy by Kiersten White for an Around the World Tour.

From Goodreads:

Wierd as it is working for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, Evie's always thought of herself as normal. Sure, her best friend is a mermaid, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she’s falling for a shape-shifter, and she’s the only person who can see through paranormals' glamours, but still. Normal.

Only now paranormals are dying, and Evie's dreams are filled with haunting voices and mysterious prophecies. She soon realizes that there may be a link between her abilities and the sudden rash of deaths. Not only that, but she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.

So much for normal.

Ever since I read Delirium by Lauren Oliver a couple of weeks ago, I felt like I was in a reading slump. But Paranormalcy completely brought me it out of it.  It was awesome!  The first chapter title had me hooked (I read an ARC so the chapter could always change, but I hope not).  The first chapter was titled "Oh, Bite Me."  Perfect!

I love characters who are sarcastic.  And I love kick-butt girl characters who are also girly (If I ever need a weapon for something I definitely want my own pink taser with rhinestones).  And Evie is both.  I just love, love, loved her!  In fact, I kind of want to be her!  She is just a strong character who also seems so real.  I think she is one of my most favorite characters ever. 

And Lend is awesome too.  What a paranormal power to have --to be able to change the way you look (although if you can't really show your real self, I guess it could get old).  And he was such a nice guy and so loving and supporting of Evie.  I loved their relationship. It seemed to progress right and nothing was too fast.

And I even really liked the secondary characters.  Lish, Evie's mermaid best friend was so sweet (and the whole bleeping out curse words was bleeping great!)  I even liked Vivian, who everyone was scared of.  I felt sorry for her and wanted her to not feel alone and have a family.

And the plot had me guessing too.  I was never sure who the good guys were and who the bad guys were.  Even up until the very end I was going back and forth.

And the cover is stunning--so beautiful (can I look like her?)  I absolutely CANNOT wait for the sequel, Supernaturally, to be released next September!  This is my favorite book of the year!

I gave this book a rating of 5/5.

Paranormalcy will be released on August 31, 2010.

This book fulfilled an item in the following challenges:
2010 100+ Reading Challenge: 117
2010 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 86
2010 Debut Author Challenge: 34
ARC Reading Challenge 2010: 83

*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Around the World Tours.

1 comment: