Sunday, January 22, 2012

Book Review- Forbidden

Early this morning I finished reading Forbidden by Syrie James & Ryan M. James for an Around the World ARC Tour.

From Goodreads:

She should not exist.

He should not love her.

Claire Brennan has been attending Emerson Academy for two years now (the longest she and her mom have remained anywhere) and she’s desperate to stay put for the rest of high school. So there’s no way she’s going to tell her mom about the psychic visions she’s been having or the creepy warnings that she’s in danger.

Alec MacKenzie is fed up with his duties to watch and, when necessary, eliminate the descendants of his angelic forefathers. He chose Emerson as the ideal hiding place where he could be normal for once. He hadn’t factored Claire into his plans. . . .

Their love is forbidden, going against everything Alec has been taught to believe. But when the reason behind Claire’s unusual powers is revealed and the threat to her life becomes clear, how far will Alec go to protect her?
 
When I first started reading the book, it took a litle while to get into it.  Not becuase of the plot or story line, but because it seemed to be written in an immature tone (even though I knew the author wasn't young).  But I soon got over that and really got into the story.
 
I loved Claire.  And her friends!  Everyone was such a positive figure in the book (Even the popular girl, Gabby, who was made to appear like she was snobby and bratty.  But whenever she talked to Claire she seemed sincere and nice, so even the "mean girl" was pretty positive.)  This book was kinda unique in that right off the bat, Claire's best friends knew what was going on with her, paranormalish wise.  And they were completely okay and supportive.  I loved that!  I loved how they, and Claire were so open about everything, and while it was a shock, it didn't seem outrageous.
 
I'm not too sure how I feel about Alec.  He's a great guy, but I can't decided what I think will happen in the future for him.  And with that being said, I tried to check to see if there was going to be a sequel to Forbidden, but I couldn't find anything. (If anyone knows, please tell me!)  I guess the book does wrap up, but I definitely think there is room for another book!
 
Oh, and there was a small twist towards the end, but I saw it coming.  It was sweet though :)
 
I gave this book a rating of 3.5/5.
 
Forbidden will be released on January 24, 2012.
 
This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2012 Reading Challenge 150+: 8
2012 ARC Reading Challenge: 7
2012 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 6

*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Around the World Tours.

No comments:

Post a Comment