Saturday, January 7, 2012

Book Review- Still Waters

I just finished reading Still Waters by Emma Carlson Berne for an Around the World ARC Tour.

From Goodreads:

Hannah can't wait to sneak off for a romantic weekend with her boyfriend, Colin. He’s leaving for college soon, and Hannah wants their trip to the lake house to be one they’ll never forget.

But once Hannah and Colin get there, things start to seem a bit...off. They can't find the town on any map. The house they are staying in looks as if someone's been living there, even though it's been deserted for years. And Colin doesn’t seem quite himself. As he grows more unstable, Hannah worries about Colin’s dark side, and her own safety.

Nothing is as perfect as it seems, and what lies beneath may haunt her forever.

I'm not too sure about this book.  After reading other reviews, I've seen it compared to The Shining.  But since I've never read that book or seen the movie, I'm not sure.  I just know that there seemed to be alot of holes in the plot and that it was a psychological thriller.

First off, the characters.  I liked Hannah and Colin mostly, but I liked Colin more.  He seemed like a sweet guy totally in love with his girl.  And while I like Hannah, her obsession with whether or not to say "I love you" kinda got old. 

But the whole part about the old Pine House was just weird.  First off, Hannah sneaking into her boyfriend's house to steal the file was weird.  Then the whole lying to her mom thing.  And then the drive there was weird.  If I were her and my boyfriend started getting upset about going there, I would probably figure that it had to do with his dead brother and suggest going back home.  But that's just me.  Anyways.  She knew this house had been desserted for years, but she didn't think to bring any majory supplies like, I don't know, food?  Or flashlights with batteries?  Just weird to me.  And then later in the story she's making a pie with crackers for a crust.  Umm...crackers that are like 8 years old?  I don't think so!

Then finally the plot picks up and Colin starts acting really weird.  But this good part of the story is so short!  It did wrap up completely and doesn't leave you wondering anything but it just seemed to end so quickly.  I don't know.  The whole book was just kind of weird to me.

I gave this book a rating of 3/5.

This book fulfills items in the following challenges:

2012 Reading Challenge 150+: 3
2012 ARC Reading Challenge: 3
2012 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 2

*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Around the World Tours.

1 comment:

  1. I thought the same thing about the supplies! Who wouldn't think to pack food?? And how about the can of beans that was 3 years expired? Great review!

    ReplyDelete