Monday, January 30, 2012

Book Review- Slide

Late last night I finished reading Slide by Jill Hathaway for an Around the World ARC Tour.

From Goodreads:

Vee Bell is certain of one irrefutable truth—her sister’s friend Sophie didn’t kill herself. She was murdered.


Vee knows this because she was there. Everyone believes Vee is narcoleptic, but she doesn’t actually fall asleep during these episodes: When she passes out, she slides into somebody else’s mind and experiences the world through that person’s eyes. She’s slid into her sister as she cheated on a math test, into a teacher sneaking a drink before class. She learned the worst about a supposed “friend” when she slid into her during a school dance. But nothing could have prepared Vee for what happens one October night when she slides into the mind of someone holding a bloody knife, standing over Sophie’s slashed body.

Vee desperately wishes she could share her secret, but who would believe her? It sounds so crazy that she can’t bring herself to tell her best friend, Rollins, let alone the police. Even if she could confide in Rollins, he has been acting off lately, more distant, especially now that she’s been spending more time with Zane.

Enmeshed in a terrifying web of secrets, lies, and danger and with no one to turn to, Vee must find a way to unmask the killer before he or she strikes again.

I would classify Slide as a paranormal book with a mystery thrown in.  I was immediately captured by this book because of the term "Narcolepsy".  I have read other books where the character is in another person's body for a second, but I've never read a book that used this term.  And for some reason it fascinated me.  I know that just falling asleep is a real disease but I've never known anyone with it before or read anything about it.

And then throw the mystery in.  I had so many guesses as to who I thought the murderer was.  And I had lots of reasons for each one.  It turns out I was only sorta right but by default.  The book really had me going. 

I liked Vee.  I liked that she embraced her gift and wasn't afraid of it.  And that she was true to herself.  I wasn't too sure about Rollins though.  I liked that he saved Vee but after that, I didn't really get his appeal.  I did like Mattie and Sophie though.  I felt for them...trapped in that place between wanting to be popular and making the wrong choices because of it, but really having a good heart. 

This book definitely kept my attention the whole way.  I just checked and there will be a sequel to this book called Impostor coming out next year.  I can't wait!

I gave this book a rating of 4/5.

Slide will be released on March 27, 2012.

This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2012 Reading Challenge 150+: 12
2012 ARC Reading Challenge: 10
2012 Debut Author Challenge: 2
2012 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 10

*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Around the World Tours.

No comments:

Post a Comment