Sunday, November 4, 2012

Book Review- Just One Day

A little earlier, I finished reading Just One Day by Gayle Forman for an Around the World ARC Tour.

From Goodreads:

A breathtaking journey toward self-discovery and true love, from the author of If I Stay.

 When sheltered American good girl Allyson "LuLu" Healey first meets laid-back Dutch actor Willem De Ruiter at an underground performance of Twelfth Night in England, there’s an undeniable spark. After just one day together, that spark bursts into a flame, or so it seems to Allyson, until the following morning, when she wakes up after a whirlwind day in Paris to discover that Willem has left. Over the next year, Allyson embarks on a journey to come to terms with the narrow confines of her life, and through Shakespeare, travel, and a quest for her almost-true-love, to break free of those confines.

Just One Day is the first in a sweepingly romantic duet of novels. Willem’s story—Just One Year—is coming soon!


I can't decide how I feel about this book.  For the first part, it was okay.  I thought it was a little odd that this girl who is a goody goody and always follows the rules suddenly goes off with this guy to Paris for a day, but I went with it.  I liked reading about the different parts of Europe that Allyson went to and reminiscing about my trip 10 years ago. 

I did not like the middle part.  Allyson was just too mopey and depressing.  I mean, she was only with the guy for one day!  I understand that she went through something tough but I just wanted to say "Get over it and move on!"  Especially since she was starting college and had so been looking forward to it.  At that point in the book, I kind of just wanted it be over.

But then towards the end, I got back into the story again.  And what I thought was going to be the end felt right. The door to that part of her life was shut.  But it didn't end there.  It continued for just a couple of more pages.  And after the last sentence I found myself shouting "No!  The book can't just end there!"  I didn't realize how much I wanted the book to continue until then.  And now I'm anxiously waiting until the next book comes out telling Willem's side!

Just One Day will be released on January 8, 2013.

I gave this book a rating of 3.5/5.

This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2012 Reading Challenge 150+: 79
2012 ARC Reading Challenge: 65
What's in a Name? 5 Challenge: Something You'd Find on a Calendar
2012 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 68

*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Around the World Tours.

No comments:

Post a Comment