Saturday, October 16, 2010

Book Review- Cloaked

Early this morning I finished reading Cloaked by Alex Flinn for a Star Book Tours review.

From Goodreads:

Johnny works after school in a shoe repair shop in a swanky hotel in Miami. He loves shoes and is talented; he even aspires to be the next Manolo Blahnik. But the real reason that he is working so hard is because his dad left when he was a baby and he needs to help his mom pay the bills. At least he has his friend, Meg, who works at the hotel coffee shop, to keep him company. 

When beautiful Princess Victoriana comes to stay at the hotel, Johnny is thrilled when Victoriana invites him to her suite. There she tells him that her brother has been turned into a frog, and that she needs his help finding him in the Florida Keys. Johnny thinks she is crazy and does not believe her,
until she gives him a magical cloak that immediately transports him to another location. Armed with the cloak and a magical earpiece that can help him talk to other transformed humans Johnny sets out to save the Prince ...
 
When I read that this book was a retelling of various fairytales, I couldn't wait to read it.  But it was only okay for me. 
 
On the one hand, I liked that the  story used fairytales I had really only ever heard of, but didn't know too much about.  And it was fun to read the sort of modern day twist to them.
 
But the some of the plot was too corny.  And it was way too predictable.  I figured out almost the whole story before it happened.  And the characters were just okay too.  I think I liked the side character of Meg more than I liked the main character of Johnny.
 
But hey, I want a pair of Gianni Marco shoes! :)
 
I gave this book a rating of 3/5.
 
Cloaked will be released on February 8, 2011.
 
This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2010 100+ Reading Challenge: 137
2010 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 104
ARC Reading Challenge 2010: 97
 
*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Star Book Tours.

No comments:

Post a Comment