Thursday, October 14, 2010

Book Review- Mockingjay

I just finished reading the final installment in The Hunger Games Series, Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins.

From Goodreads:

Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss's family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.

It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plans -- except Katniss.

The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss's willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the rebels' Mockingjay -- no matter what the personal cost.
 
Mockingjay was my favorite book of the series, which surprises me since I tend to like the first book the best.  While I tried to avoid all reviews of Mockingjay so the ending wouldn't be spoiled, I did hear that this book was sad.  And so in my head I immediately knew the ending.  And the whole time I was reading the book, I kept waiting for it to happen.  But I was so wrong.  Without saying why, I didn't think the book was THAT sad.  I mean, it was, but really the whole series is kind of sad.  Anyways, the book shocked me which is always nice.
 
Once again, the book played out beautifully in my head.  The action was written so clearly that it was like a movie playing. 
 
 And this time, I could visualize the characters.  But I have to admit that its because I cheated.  I heard that The Hunger Games was going to be made into a movie so I googled who many people would pick to play the characters and I formed an image in my head.  Katniss grew on me in this book.  While she was still tough, I think we got to see a softer side of her too. 
 
And the whole Team Peeta vs. Team Gale situation.  In the first book I was torn, but leaning slightly towards Peeta.  In the second book I was definitely Team Peeta.  And then in this book, I was torn in half again, but when Peeta hands Katniss the can of lamb stew (those of you that have read the series and this book will get it), I decided that Teem Peeta won out.
 
I can't wait to see The Hunger Games be turned into a movie.  I think it will be a huge hit and I think the books will translate nicely to the screen.  (Although, does anyone know if there is going to be a separate movie for each book, or is the whole series going to be one movie?)
 
I gave this book a rating of 4/5.
 
This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2010 100+ Reading Challenge: 136
2010 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 103
 
*FTC Disclosure: I won this book from a contest from Tales & Treats.

2 comments:

  1. Gosh, I expected to see loads of 5 star ratings for this book since it was so coveted. I'm interested in reading the series though, I got the first book so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm 26th in the list for this at the library. Hope the ones in front of me read fast!!

    ReplyDelete