Friday, October 29, 2010

Book Review- Pastworld

Early this morning I finished reading Pastworld by Ian Beck for a review for TeensReadToo.

From Goodreads:

Pastworld is the greatest theme park ever devised. It's London - the real London - transformed into a living, breathing recreation of the Victorian era.

To Eve, a lifelong resident of Pastworld, horse-drawn carriages and gas lamps are modern technology. Eve doesn't even know she's living in a simulation - until she is forced to flee the only home she's ever known, and to confront the truth about her city and herself.

To Caleb, a tourist visiting Pastworld, the theme park is the perfect antidote to the stifling conformity and regulation of 2048. The gritty wildness of the past is thrilling - until he finds himself at the scene of a murder, holding the knife, and suddenly becomes a fugitive from an antiquated justice system.

And in the midst of it all, in the thick London fog, a dark and deadly figure prowls, claiming victim after victim. He's the Fantom, a creature both of the past and of the future, in whose dark purpose Caleb and Eve will find their destinies combined.
 
This book was definitely...interesting.  Working for Disney, I saw that this was about a "theme park" and was excited.  But I wouldn't exactly call Pastworld a theme park...it's just a city set in the past. 
 
  You could definitely tell this book was written by a guy.  The book was really gory.  I wasn't expecting that, but it didn't turn me off.  And I didn't really care about the characters.  While I wanted to care about Eve, I didn't feel like there was enough about her for me to feel sympathetic about.
 
That being said, it was a good mystery book.  I spent a lot of the book trying to figure out what was going on and I would say that about two-thirds of the way through, I figured it out.  And it was a good twist!  I feel that the ending wrapped up too quickly though.  I would have liked to have read more about what happened at the end scene with the Fantom and Eve.
 
I gave this book a rating of 3/5.
 
This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2010 100+ Reading Challenge: 144
2010 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 110
ARC Reading Challenge 2010: 101
 
*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free by Jen from TeensReadToo for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment