Thursday, October 21, 2010

Book Review- The Secret Society of the Pink Crystal Ball

I just finished reading The Secret Society of the Pink Crystal Ball by Risa Green for Sourcebook's Teen Fire.

From Goodreads:

In a world where nothing is certain, a little magic couldn't hurt...right?

When Erin Channing's favorite aunt dies, Erin is bequeathed a pink crystal ball and a set of weird instructions. Granted, Aunt Kiki (aka Aunt Kooky) always lived "outside the box." But now Erin and her two best friends are convinced that the pink crystal ball holds the key to their future-or at least the key to getting dates...

Consider Your Fate to Be Sealed . . .
  • Absolute knowledge is not unlimited; let the planets be your guide to the number.
  • There are sixteen ways to die, but four of them you will never see.
  • The future belongs to you alone. Other voices will be disappointed.
  • One rotation is as far as you can see. Only uncertainty lies beyond.
This was a cute book.  It was pretty bubble-gummy, but I liked it.  I would say that it would almost be a good tween book, but there is some mention of sex.  But anyways, while sometimes if a book is too cutesy, it will annoy me, but this book definitely didn't.  In fact there were some times that I giggled.  It took me back to tenth grade and made me remember how my friends and I used to be.

The characters are all great.  I love how Erin was the boring, normal girl.  (This is who I was in my group of friends).  And there's always one girl who's prettier than everyone else (Samantha) and one who is always so nice to everyone (Lindsay).  And I really liked Jesse.  Who he was and what he believed in.  I would have like to know more about how he knew so many people in places and go the hookups there.

There were a lot of great pop culture references too.  Those always make books fun.  And the way the book ended, it could possibly be a cliff hanger.  If not, it would be okay because the ending fits.  But if there is another book, I can't wait to read it!

I gave this book a rating of 4/5.

This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2010 100+ Reading Challenge: 140
2010 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 107
2010 Debut Author Challenge: 38

*FTC Disclosure: I received this book from Sourcebooks Teen Fire for free for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment