Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Book Review- My Own Personal Soap Opera

I just finished reading My Own Personal Soap Opera by Libby Malin.

From Goodreads:

Frankie McNally doesn't just write for a soap opera, her life resembles one. Head writer for the soap opera, Lust for Life, Frankie is being courted by both Victor Pendergrast, a dashing older man sent in to save the show's sagging ratings, and Luke Blades, the soap's totally hot leading man. Just when she thinks life can't get more complicated, a jewel thief starts copying the show's storyline—a development that could send the show's ratings soaring if it doesn't get Frankie and Victor arrested first. Can Frankie write her way out of this one? And can she put make-believe aside long enough to discover the truth of her own heart?

Ugh...I so hate writing not-so-positive reviews.  But this book just did not do it for me.  In fact, I put it down for a while and read some other books in between.  Which I never do.

It's just the main character, Frankie, annoyed me.  I thought she was whiny and way too into this "I'm the boss" thing.  I don't care that you have books in your queue online about how to manage people (and she said this sooo many times).  Anytime something happened, Frankie kept reverting back to "but I'm the boss so it's my way" mentality and it just got old.

The whole love triangle between Frankie and the older Victor and same age Luke was interesting.  For a while there, I couldn't decide who I liked more but I liked the end choice.

I've read other positive reviews of this book, so maybe it's just me, but this wasn't my cup of tea.

I gave this book a rating of 2.5/5.

This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2010 100+ Reading Challenge: 49
ARC Reading Challenge 2010: 34
2010 Chick Lit Challenge: 7

*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free by Danielle from Sourcebooks for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment