Thursday, November 12, 2009

Book Review- The Splendor Falls

I just finished reading The Splendor Falls by Rosemary Clement-Moore.

Sylvie's world came crashing down the day she broke her leg on stage. She was the youngest-ever principal ballerina for the American Ballet and her dream career ended at the age of seventeen.  But her world is also changed by her mother's remarriage and since she has no reason to stay in New York, she's shipped off to Alabama to stay with her late father's cousin, Paula.  Paula is restoring a family home that has been passed down through the generations of the Davis family.  And with this home comes a history that is ghostly.  Sylvie must figure out the mystery of why she can suddenly see ghosts and why there seems to be magic in the air.  Add two guys who are both interested in her, and she gets one summer that she will never forget.

This book is really long--five hundred and thirteen pages long.  And it was too long, I think.  I think that there was too much filler in the story and that it could definitely be shortened.  There were times that I became confused.  How the past was relevant to the future, and the relationships between the characters had me flipping back through the book at some points.

I did like some of the main characters.  I liked Sylvie--a ballerina as a main character (although the ballet aspect is talked about too much) is new to me.  And she had a great, fiesty personality.  I liked a lot of her retorts to the guys and to her cousin.  I also really liked Rhys.  He had an air of mystery surrounding him that was appealing and intriguing.  I also liked Clara, the business partner of Paula.  She had such a caring air about her.    And I want a puppy like Gigi!
I didn't particularly like Shawn or Addie, although I don't think I was supposed to.  There was something eerie about Shawn and his ability to charm everyone.  And Addie was just plain mean. 

I did like the ending--it seemed to wrap everything up nicely and all of the many details throughout the book came together.   As long as you aren't looking for a speedy, easy read, I would reccommend this book.

I gave this book a rating of 3/5.

This book fullfilled an item in the following challenge:
Paranormal 999 Challenge: Ghosts

*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free by Melyssa from Book Divas and Jen from TeensReadToo for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment