Thursday, December 24, 2009

Book Review- La Vida Vampire

I just finished reading La Vida Vampire by Nancy Haddock.

From the back cover:

Sometimes being a vampire isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Take it from me, Francesca Marinelli.  I was trapped underground for more than two hundred years and unearthed during the renovation of a Victorian mansion in historic St. Augustine. Being something of a  tourist attraction myself, I'm well suited for a job as a ghost tour guide.  A vampire telling ghost stories.  Is that a kick or what?  Hey, I'm 227 years old.  I want to learn things, do things, see things!   With enough sunblock, I can have a new lease on afterlife.  But...

Getting used to being a vampire in the twenty-first century is tough.  First, everything I learned about men is a little dated. Then a woman from my tour group turns up dead.  Naturally the police think I'm responsible, and it's not so easy to prove I didn't do it.   To top it all off, a crazed  vigilante squad called the Covenant is out to get me. Between the dead bodies, the stalkers, and my seriously nonexistent love life, I'm starting to think it was easier being a vampire when I was undead and buried.
 
First of all, I really enjoyed reading the story since it was set in St. Augustine.  I grew up in Orange Park, a little city right outside of Jacksonville, so we went to St. Augustine all of the time.  I loved reading about the streets and loved recognizng other city names (and the author talked about Gainesville--where I went to college!) 
 
I also really loved Cesca.  She was so down to earth--the total opposite of the typical vampire stereotype.  And she proved how off the stereotype could be.  She is someone, that if she were real, I would wnat to be friends with!  And Saber, the preternatural crimes special investigator hired investigate the crimes, and then to protect her just sounded hot!
 
This was a fun story that definitely leaves you hanging at the end.  There is a lot more to happen, and I'm very glad that I have the next book, Last Vampire Standing, to read next!
 
I gave this book a rating of 4/5.
 
This book fulfilled an item in the following challenge:
Paranormal 999 Challenge: Psychics

*FTC Disclosure: I traded this book with a friend

No comments:

Post a Comment