Sunday, June 28, 2009

Book Review- The Geek Girl's Guide to Cheerleading

Last night I finished reading The Geek Girl's Guide to Cheerleading by Charity Tahmaseb and Darcy Vance.

From the back cover:

When Bethany--self-proclaimed geek girl--makes the varsity cheerleading squad, she realizes that there's one thing worse than blending in with the lockers: getting noticed. She always felt comfortable as part of the nerd herd, but being a member of the most scrutinized group in her school is weighing her down like a ton of textbooks. Even her varsity cheerleading guide can't answer the really tough questions, like: How do you maintain some semblance of dignity while wearing an insanely short skirt? What do you do when the head cheerleader spills her beer on you at your first in-crowd party? And how do you know if your crush likes you for your mind...or your pom-poms?

One thing's for sure: It's going to take more than brains for this girl genius to cheer her way to the top of the pyramid.

I really enjoyed reading this story. I really identified with Bethany--I cheered from the time I was 8 to the time I was 18 and I was always the bookworm on the squad (luckily my school was small enough that there weren't really cliques--everyone was friends with everyone else). I liked the way the authors wrote the characters. I loved Bethany, Moni, and especially Jack. I loved how he was the popular kid in the high school but when you got to know him, he was a total sweetheart. And I really felt for Chantal, the snobby head of the popular group. I liked how Bethany stayed mostly true to herself, even though she joined cheerleading, and didn't completely disregard the nerd herd. And I enjoyed the ending. Overall a really cute story!

I gave this book a rating of 4/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment