Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Book Review- In Over Her Head

I just finished reading In Over Her Head by Judi Fennell.

From the back cover:

Reel Tritone is the rebellious royal second son of the ruler of a vast undersea kingdom. A Merman born with legs instead of a tail, he's always been fascinated by humans, especially one young woman he once saw swimming near his family's reef...

Ever since the day she swam out too far and heard voices in the water, marina owner Erica Peck won't go swimming for anything-- until she's forced into the water by a shady ex-boyfriend searching for stolen diamonds and is nearly eaten by a shark. Luckily Reel is nearby to save her, and he discovers she's the woman he's been searching for...

Before she knows it, Erica is off with Reel on a series of wild underwater adventures to retriece stolen treasure, battle the mother of all sea monsters, and defy a death edict from the kingdom's high council. But even if they get out of their madcap mission alive, how will they find a way to stay together when she hates the water and he can't survive on land?

I loved reading this book! I love Disney and especially the little mermaid, and this book reminded me a lot of the story. The way Judi Fennell described the scenery of the ocean made me want to be able to breathe underwater (seeing as I'm too scared of whats in it to go scuba diving!) The book had some neat twists in it, right up to the end. I loved the humor in the story and the way that everyday sayings were adapted to the ocean (instead of saying things like "Oh my God", he would say "Hades" or "For Apollo's sake" and he said "Catfish got your tongue?"). It was just a great, imaginative story.

There will be two more books in this series, Wild Blue Under (November 2009) and Catch of a Lifetime (February 2010) and I absolutely can't wait to read them!

I gave this book a 4/5.

This book fulfilled items in the following challenges:
Paranormal 999 Challenge: Were-animals/shapeshifters/ mermaids
What's In A Name Challenge: Body Part
A to Z Reading Challenge: I

I will be having a guest blog by Judi Fennell tomorrow! Thanks for Danielle at Sourcebooks for the review copy!

3 comments:

  1. I love Disney(and H.C. Andersen!) as well and The Little Mermaid is such a cute story.

    This book will be added to my wish list :)

    Here's my "Waiting on post".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Disney and the little Mermaid too...one of the best classic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This story is a good one. I'm reading it now but there is a nice solid story aside from the humor and the Disney comparisons. Very interesting and well researched. I'll be reading the next two as well.

    Nice review.:-)

    ReplyDelete