Sunday, July 11, 2010

Book Review- After the Kiss

I just finished reading After the Kiss by Terra Elan McVoy for an Around the World Tour.

From Goodreads:

This moment changes everything.

Becca has been head-over-heels for Alec from the instant they met. He's a brainy jock with a poet's heart—in other words, perfect for her.

Camille is careful with her words and protective of her heart, especially since Chicago. Then a new boy in her new town catches her off guard with a surprise kiss.

Too bad that new boy is Becca's boyfriend, Alec.

Camille and Becca have never met, but their lives will unravel and intertwine in surprising ways as they deal with what happens after the kiss.
 
I had a hard time getting into this book at first.  Each chapter is told from a different viewpoint--Becca and Camille's.   Camille tells her story in what I guess is a journal form.  There is no capitalization and not to much punctuation--there were a lot of run on sentences and it took quite a while for me to really be able to read it easily.  Becca's story is in verse and I think was written beautifully.
 
While Camille didn't know that she did anything wrong by kissing Alec, I was definitely pro-Becca.  Camille seemed just too moody and brooding for me.  But with Becca, I could really feel how much she loved Alec and the beginning and then her heartbreak in the middle and her growth at the end.  Her story was just beautiful.  And Alec--blah.  While I feel he might really have been sorry at the end, I still feel like he was such a jerk to both girls.  I have no tolerance for guys like that.
 
But overall, once I got over trying to understand how the story was written, I was totally engrossed in the story and really enjoyed it!
 
I gave this book a rating of 4/5.
 
This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2010 100+ Reading Challenge: 90
2010 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 67
ARC Reading Challenge 2010: 67
 
*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Around the World Tours.

No comments:

Post a Comment