Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Book Review- Stork

I just finished reading Stork by Wendy Delsol for a Book It Forward ARC Tour.

From Goodreads:

Sixteen-year-old Katla has just moved from Los Angeles to the sticks of Minnesota. As if it weren’t enough that her trendy fashion sense draws stares, she learns to her horror that she’s a member of an ancient order of women who decide to whom certain babies will be born. Add to that Wade, the arrogant football star whom Katla regrettably fooled around with, and Jack, a gorgeous farm boy who initially seems to hate her. Soon Katla is having freaky dreams about a crying infant and learns that, as children, she and Jack shared a near-fatal, possibly mystical experience. Can Katla survive this major life makeover and find a dress for the homecoming dance? Drawing from Norse mythology and inspired by The Snow Queen by Hans Christian Andersen, debut author Wendy Delsol conceives an irreverent, highly entertaining novel about embracing change and the (baby) bumps along the way.

When I first saw Stork posted up for a tour, I had never heard of it, but the summary and the book cover caught my attention.  And boy am I glad it did.  I really enjoyed the story!

I liked Kat.  I thought she had spunk and was witting and I found myself laughing at the things she said and thought.  And I liked Jack as well.  I wasn't too sure at the beginning, but he definitely grew on me and by the end I thought he and Kat were a perfect match.

The idea of a "Stork" was a new one for me and one that I really enjoyed.  If I had any complaint, it would be that I would have liked to have read more about the babies being placed, since we only really get into one scenario.  And the last 25 or so pages totally shocked me!  I didn't see that coming at all! 

The ending definitely leaves you wondering what is going to happen next.  And I checked on Wendy Delsol's website and saw that Stork is the beginning of a trilogy and Frost, the next book, will come out in the Fall of 2011 (I don't want to wait that long!)

I gave this book a rating of 4/5.

Stork will be released on October 12, 2010.

This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2010 100+ Reading Challenge: 95
2010 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 72
2010 Debut Author Challenge: 30
ARC Reading Challenge 2010: 70

*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Book It Forward ARC Tours.

1 comment:

  1. This looks like such a fun book, and the cover is stunning!

    ReplyDelete