Monday, July 12, 2010

Book Review- Salvaged

I finished reading Salvaged by Stefne Miller early this evening for a We Love YA! tour.

From Goodreads:

'My body was being torn apart, and my stomach felt as if it exploded. The pain was excruciating, and I was aware that I was dying... 'Mom?' My vision was murky, but I could see her face. It was bloody, and her eyes were large and full of fear. Her voice calmed. 'Get out of the car, Attie.' Her words sounded crisp and clear. I looked into the backseat in search of Melody and found her lying covered in blood in a twisted heap on the floor. I turned my attention back to my mother and out of the corner of my eye saw fire. 'Get out, Attie!' 'Mom?' Everything went dark.' Attie Reed should have died in the wreck that stole the lives of her mother and best friend. But her life was spared. Why? When Attie moves to Oklahoma to stay with the Bennetts for the summer, she hopes she has left her nightmares behind. But her battle is far from over, and Riley Bennett steps forward to help her fight the nighttime monsters. As the battle wears on, Riley begins fighting monsters of his own: his feelings for Attie. And Attie realizes she must begin to face the monsters of the night herself if she wants to conquer them for good. Can Attie's life be Salvaged?

Ugh.  Okay, I know that I am in the minority in my feelings of this book.  But, if I was the type of person to put a book down, I would have done so with this book.  While I don't mind there being religious aspects in a book, I don't like it to be thrown in my face on every other page.  And I feel this book did just that.  There was so much talk of what God/Jesus wanted for Riley and Attie, and the whole Jesus being in jeans in a tshirt talking one-on-one with Attie and her talking back was just too much.

The plotline was good.  I liked Attie's growth.  It seemed like how a real teenager dealing with what she went through would be like. 

And the characters were just okay too.  I liked Attie.  I felt for her and felt sympathetic for her.  But I couldn't decide how I felt about Riley.  Sometimes I kept thinking "aww, so sweet" but then other times I kept thinking "blah, too soft."  I did really like Attie's friends thought--Anne and Tess and Tammy.  They seemed real and sweet.

I dunno.  This book just turned me off.  I found myself rolling my eyes through a lot of it. 

I gave the book a rating of 2.5/5.

This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2010 100+ Reading Challenge: 91
2010 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 68
2010 Debut Author Challenge: 28

*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of We Love YA! tours.

3 comments:

  1. Well, the book does have an interesting cover...

    And Jesus in jeans and t-shirt? Wow. That's a new one to me! I might look out for this book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you thank you! I would have felt the same way. Thanks for the don't read alert. Ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally! I was beginning to think I was the only person who didn't like this book. Kudos for actually finishing it, because I couldn't manage to do so.

    ReplyDelete