Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Book Review- Ghostgirl

I finally got around to reading Ghostgirl by Tonya Hurley last night.

From Goodreads:

Now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
And if I should die before I awake,
I pray the popular attend my wake.

Charlotte Usher feels practically invisible at school, and then one day she really is invisible. Even worse: she's dead. And all because she choked on a gummy bear. But being dead doesn't stop Charlotte from wanting to be popular; it just makes her more creative about achieving her goal.

If you thought high school was a matter of life or death, wait till you see just how true that is. In this satirical, yet heartfelt novel, Hurley explores the invisibility we all feel at some times and the lengths we'll go to be seen.
 
This book had both its good and bad aspects to me.  I liked the plot.  I liked the idea of the girl who wanted to be popular dying but still having a goth girl be able to see her.  And there were definitely some funny lines.  But I felt it was really shallow.  There wasn't anything deep about the book.  Not that thats always bad.  But it just felt a little off for me.
 
I liked the quotes and the litte paragraph at the beginning of each chapter.  They were fun and I couldn't wait to get to the next one.  There was a small surprise at the end, at the dance but I kind of saw it coming (just not in the actual way that it did.)
 
And I have to say, the hardback cover is amazing!  I love how it looks like a coffin but has plastic around it so it's see-through.  So cool! 
 
I gave this book a rating of 3/5.
 
This book fulfilled an item in the following challenges:
2010 100+ Reading Challenge: 122
2010 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 90
 
*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free from the publisher for an honest review

No comments:

Post a Comment