Thursday, September 9, 2010

Book Review- Zombies vs. Unicorns

I just finished reading Zombies vs. Unicorns edited by Holly Black and Justine Larbalestier for a Smitten With Books ARC Tour.

From Goodreads:

It's a question as old as time itself: which is better, the zombie or the unicorn? In this anthology, edited by Holly Black and Justine Larbalestier (unicorn and zombie, respectively), strong arguments are made for both sides in the form of short stories. Half of the stories portray the strengths--for good and evil--of unicorns and half show the good (and really, really bad-ass) side of zombies. Contributors include many bestselling teen authors, including Cassandra Clare, Libba Bray, Maureen Johnson, Meg Cabot, Scott Westerfeld, and Margo Lanagan. This anthology will have everyone asking: Team Zombie or Team Unicorn?

I was really excited to read this book.  But unfortunately there were only 3 stories that I really loved.  The rest were just pretty good.  I'm not sure if its because the stories were so short (yes, I know that's what an anthology is) but I never really got into most of the characters.  They just felt distant and I didn't really care about them.

The stories I did really enjoy were The Care and Feeding of Your Baby Killer Unicorn by Diana Peterfreund, Princess Prettypants by Meg Cabot, and Cold Hands by Cassandra Clare.  I really got into all of the characters and the plot in just the short stories that they were in.

 In The Care and Feeding of Your Baby Killer Unicorn, I loved Wen.  I loved how she followed what she felt was right, even though she had been raised to believe that unicorns were evil. 

In Princess Prettypants, I'll admit it.  I loved the portrayal of the unicorn.  I loved that it was a stereotypical unicorn with rainbows and flowers and pretty colors.  I am girly that way.

In Cold Hands, I just felt for James and Adele.  Their relationship and love seemed so strong.  You just knew it was going to last.

And I am definitely Team Unicorn!  I grew up obssessed with them--they were the wallpaper in my room, I had dozens of figurines, and my favorite dress when I was 5 was a pastel rainbow striped one with a unicorn on it that I named Whisper (and yes I still have it!)  I love unicorns!

I gave this book a rating of 3.5/5.

Zombies vs. Unicorns will be released on September 21, 2010.

This book fulfilled an item in the following challenges:
2010 100+ Reading Challenge: 123
2010 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 91
ARC Reading Challenge 2010: 86

*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free from Smitten With Books ARC Tours for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment