Sunday, September 26, 2010

Book Review- Halo

I just finished reading Halo by Alexandra Adornetto for an Around the World ARC Tour.

From Goodreads:

Nothing much happens in the sleepy town of Venus Cove. But everything changes when three angels are sent from heaven to protect the town against the gathering forces of darkness: Gabriel, the warrior; Ivy, the healer; and Bethany, a teenage girl who is the least experienced of the trio. They work hard to conceal their true identity and, most of all, their wings. But the mission is threatened when the youngest angel, Bethany, is sent to high school and falls in love with the handsome school captain, Xavier Woods. Will she defy the laws of Heaven by loving him? Things come to a head when the angels realize they are not the only supernatural power in Venus Cove. There′s a new kid in town and he′s charming, seductive and deadly. Worst of all, he′s after Beth.

When I first read about this book, I didn't think I wanted to read it.  I'm not into religious books and unfortunately I have made the mistake of reading a couple and they annoyed me.  But after reading a couple of reviews, I decided to give it a try.  And I'm glad that I did.  Yes, the whole book has an overall religious theme--afterall Bethany and her brother and sisters are angels.  But it wasn't really shoved in your face and it didn't seem goody-goody.

For the most part, I liked the characters.  I liked reading about how Bethany got used to the human world and our everyday sayings and doings.  And I liked that she seemed like a normal teenage girl.  She wanted to experience life and made some mistakes.  And for the most part, I really liked Xavier.  I have never been one to like the bad boys so the fact that Xavier is so good sat well with me.  The only part that I didn't like was when he found out that Bethany was an angel and became way too overprotective.  It was a little over the top.  And I didn't like that Bethany just allowed it.  But other than that, I thought they made a cute couple.

The plot was okay.  It was intersesting, but predictable.  Nothing really shocked me and there weren't any surprises.  The ending did leave off on a cliffhanger, and I look forward to reading the next book in the series, Hades.

Oh, and the fact that a seventeen-year-old wrote this book shocked me.  I knew the author's age before I started reading it and I expected the book to read like a teenager had written it, but it didn't.  I would never have guessed she was so young.  What a talent!

I gave this book a rating of 3.5/5.

This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2010 100+ Reading Challenge: 129
2010 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 97
ARC Reading Challenge 2010: 92

*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Around the World Tours.

1 comment:

  1. I've read so much about Halo-but I didn't know it was written by a teen. I will have to add this to my wish list. Thanks for the good review!

    ReplyDelete