Sunday, August 15, 2010

Book Review- I Can't Keep My Own Secrets: Six-Word Memoirs by Teens Famous and Obscure

I just finished reading Book Review- I Can't Keep My Own Secrets: Six-Word Memoirs by Teens Famous and Obscure edited by Rachel Fershleiser and Larry Smith of Smith Magazine for a review for TeensReadToo.

From Goodreads:

True tales of love, loss, good friends, and bad hair days filled Not Quite What I Was Planning, the New York Times bestselling first book in the Six-Word Memoir series—an international phenomenon. Some of the very best were by teens, so the editors decided to create a book written entirely by those bold, brash truth-tellers. From cancer to creativity, prom dates to promiscuity, and breaking hearts to breaking laws, the memoirs in this collection reveal that often the youngest writers have the most fascinating stories to tell.

This was an incredibly easy book to fly through.  And totally engaging.  There were so many great things that the teens said.  And a lot of them were shocking.  There were memoirs about falling in love, being heartbroken, being gay, having parents who were neglectful, having diseases, missing family members who passed away and so much more!  I think my favorite one was actually the very last one in the Advanced Readers Copy that I have: "My life story: to be continued.~by Cassie H."  And it made me think.  Just what would I say if I had to write about my life in 6 words?  How about

Huge Florida Gator fan and bookworm.

I gave this book a rating of 3/5.

This book fulfilled an item in the following challenges:
2010 100+ Reading Challenge: 110
2010 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 79
ARC Reading Challenge 2010: 76

*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free by Jen from TeensReadToo for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment