Sunday, August 22, 2010

Book Review- Monster High

I finished reading Monster High by Lisi Harrison last night for a Book It Forward Tour.

From Goodreads:

They prefer to call themselves RADs, but some call them monsters. So far, the "monster" community has kept a low profile in Salem, Oregon, but this year two new girls enroll at Merston High School, and the town will never be the same.

Created just fifteen days ago, Frankie Stein is psyched to trade her father's lonely formaldehyde-smelling basement lab for parties and friends. But with a student body totally freaked out by rumors of monsters stalking the halls, Frankie finds that life in the "normi" world can be rough for a chic freak like her.

She thinks she finds a friend in fellow new student Melody Carver--but can a normi be trusted with her big secret?
 
This book was too cheesy and corny for me.  But maybe the younger YA crowd will like it more. 
 
I thought the plot was original.  Monsters hiding in plain sight of the "normies".  And while I don't think we were supposed to figure out just who was a monster and who wasn't, I had the monsters pegged from the very beginning.
 
I did like the two main characters--Melody and Frankie.  They were definitely true to themselves and wanted to be liked for who they were and not what they looked like.  Which would be a good moral for tweens to read about.
 
But I wasn't a fan of the ending.  I read an ARC, so maybe the ending will change, and I certainly hope it does.  I think it was meant to be a cliffhanger, but to me it didn't feel that way.  It felt like the book just stopped.  In fact, there were a couple of blank pages at the end and I flipped through them thinking that maybe the writing would continue.  Nothing was wrapped up, but still left me wanting more.  It just cut off.  Not my favorite way to end a story. 
 
I gave this book a rating of 2.5/5.
 
Monster High will be released on September 1, 2010
 
This book fulfilled an item in the following challenges:
2010 100+ Reading Challenge: 114
2010 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 83
ARC Reading Challenge 2010: 80
 
*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Book It Forward ARC Tours.

No comments:

Post a Comment