Friday, June 11, 2010

Book Review- Boys, Girls and Other Hazardous Materials

I just finished reading Boys, Girls and Other Hazardous Materials by Rosalind Wiseman for an Around the World Tour.

From Goodreads:

Looking for a new beginning after a terrible mean girl past, Charlie Healey realizes there’s no escaping high school drama.

Charlie Healey thinks Harmony Falls is the beginning of a whole new life. Middle school was brutal. But high school is Charlie’s big chance to start over and stay out of drama, except that on her first day she runs into Will, her ex–best friend, who had moved away. Now a varsity athlete and hotter than Charlie remembered, Will hangs with the crowd running the school. But Charlie doesn’t understand their power until an innocent delivery guy falls victim to a near-deadly hazing prank.

Torn between doing what’s right and her secret feelings for Will, Charlie must decide whether to turn in her very best friend or live with the guilt of knowing what he did.

Rosalind Wiseman’s first novel for young adults is a fresh, funny, and juicy read about friendship, betrayal, and how far some will go to be accepted.
 
This book was just ehh for me.  I enjoy reading YA, but this book was a little too young and immature for my liking.  I think maybe if I was a freshman, I might enjoy it more, but as an adult, I just didn't get much out of it. 
 
While I liked the girl characters in the story (Sydney was my favorite by far), I could not stand any of the guys.  Not even Will.  None of them had any redeeming factors to me and they all seemed liked jerks.  Okay, I take that back.  Michael seemed nice.  But the rest (Matt, Dylan, Will, Tyler) were just awful.
 
The only parts of the story I really liked were when they talked about watching Mean Girls (which is funny since the movie is based off of one of the author's books) and when they talked about fantasy football (random, I know).
 
I gave this book a rating of 3/5.
 
This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2010 100+ Reading Challenge: 73
2010 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 55
ARC Reading Challenge 2010: 52
 
*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Around the World Tours.

No comments:

Post a Comment