Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Book Review- You Wish

I finished reading You Wish by Mandy Hubbard on my plane flight to Las Vegas on Friday night.  The review was for an Around the World Tour.

From Goodreads:

Kayla McHenry’s sweet sixteenth sucks! Her dad left, her grades dropped, and her BFF is dating the boy Kayla’s secretly loved for years. Blowing out her candles, Kayla thinks: I wish my birthday wishes actually came true. Because they never freakin’ do.

Kayla wakes the next day to a life-sized, bright pink My Little Pony outside her window. Then a year’s supply of gumballs arrives. And a boy named Ken with a disturbing resemblance to the doll of same name stalks her. As the ghosts of Kayla’s wishes-past appear, they take her on a wild ride… but they MUST STOP. Because when she was 15? She wished Ben Mackenzie would kiss her.

And Ben is her best friend's boyfriend.
 
You Wish is a cute fantasy story.  It got me thinking about what would happen if I got all of my birthday wishes.  I know that the ones during my teenage years were definitely boy related, but I have no idea what I wished for as a kid.
 
I really liked Kayla.  Reading the back cover, I thought "Oh no--another book about a girl stealing her best friend's boyfriend".  But this plot actually worked for me.  I also like the side characters of Nicole and Ann.  I felt that Kayla and Nicole both grew throughout the story and Ann was just a fun character!
 
This book was light and fluffy and I look forward to reading more books by Mandy Hubbard.
 
I gave this book a rating of 4/5.
 
You Wish will be released on August 5, 2010.
 
This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2010 100+ Reading Challenge: 67
2010 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 49
ARC Reading Challenge 2010: 48
 
*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Around the World Tours.

No comments:

Post a Comment