Sunday, March 22, 2009

Book Review- All You Need Is Love

I finished reading All You Need Is Love by Carole Matthews last night.

From the back cover:
Single mum and superwoman Sally Freeman wants a better life for herself and her son Charlie. But it’s not going to be easy when their home is on a run-down Liverpool council estate, so if she's going up in the world, she'll have to drag it along with her.

Just as Sally’s mission to improve their surroundings gets under way, she’s offered a ticket out of there, in the splendid form of Spencer Knight. He has everything she could wish for – the looks, the charm, not to mention the wallet. But is he the answer to her prayers, or does her hapless ex-boyfriend Johnny still hold the key to her heart? Her dilemma is made worse when, for the first time, her home has the glimmer of a futre. And as she struggles to choose between her head and her heart, she discovers that if The Beatles are right and all you need is love, then everything else will fall into place.

I'm not sure why but something just left me feeling a little off about this book. First, I didn't like Sally's best friend Debs. She wasn't supportive of Sally in anything and seemed almost condescending. I kept thinking "Why would you want a best friend like that?" And then, I'm not sure if its the way it was written or what", but I kept thinking that Sally was with Spencer just for his money, which really set me off. And then another part of the time I kept waiting for Spencer to just be using Sally for something and to admit that he wasn't really in love with her. Either way, I liked the ending a lot!

I gave this book a 3/5.

This book fullfills the follwing challenges:

1 comment: