Thursday, March 26, 2009

Book Review- Modern Magic

I just finished reading Modern Magic by Anne Cordwainer.

From the back cover:

John and Liz Prospero come from a long line of magical renegade hunters. John's one of the strongest sorcerers his family has ever produced. Liz is a sport, born without magic. Which one was lucky?

You'd think Liz at least could live a normal life. But for a Prospero, confronting renegades is normal. Wherever she goes, her magical heritage follows, and it usually brings danger along for the ride. Oh, and don't forget keeping half her life secret from all her friends.

John always knew he was expected to become a warrior, but that doesn't mean he has to like it. Working all day and fighting crime nights and weekends can wear a guy out. Especially with magical crime rising sharply, and fewer sorcerers willing to take on renegades.

One man has a plan to bring sorcery and modern justice together, but can it work? Does it go too far, or not far enough? How can anyone decide, when no one knows what the problem is?

John and Liz each play a pivotal role in finding and defeating the underlying villains, during a decade of adventures which transform modern magic in the U.S.A.

I don't really know what to think of this book. It spans 11 years and goes back and forth between the two main characters, Liz and John, a brother and a sister. I didn't really connect with the characters though. The story had a lot of action in it but for some reason, it didn't keep me hanging. All of the action throughout the years tied together in the end, and the villain was someone I definitely didn't suspect. The ending left me thinking that there might be a possible sequel but I'm not sure I'd read it. I think the story needed a touch more humor and warmth to get me hooked.

I gave this book a rating of 3/5.

This book fullfills items in the following challenges:
Paranormal 999 Challenge: Witches/Wizards/Sorcerers

1 comment:

  1. The premise is really interesting. I'm sorry it didn't turn out as well as you hoped.

    ReplyDelete