Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Book Review- Selina Penaluna

I finished reading Selina Penaluna by Jan Page for TeensReadToo last night.

Selina Penaluna is a story told from two different people, but in three different ways.

Selina Penaluna grew up thinking that she was a merrymaid. She knew all about the story that her mother told her--one day her mother dropped her into a deep pool but swears a different child came up. She tells her version of the story in the viewpoint of a child/young adult.

Ellen and Jack are twins. Due to the war, they had to evacuate and live with a new family. Ellen loved the new life, but Jack never adjusted. The story is told from Ellen's point of view as a child/young adult, an as a senior citizen.

Jack and Selina fall in love but Ellen is jealous. When tragedy happens to Jack, Ellen blames Selina and sees her ghost everywhere.

This was an interesting story. It took me a while to get into it. The language told from Selina's viewpoint was a little hard to read and to get into at first. I felt sorry for Ellen--she just wanted to be loved, both by the family that took the twins in, and by her twin. But I didn't like Jack or Selina at all. I felt that Jack's character was just rude and obnoxious and I just couldn't get into Selena. I really liked the twist at the end. I didn't see it coming at all! And just as a side note--I absolutely LOVE this cover--it's beautiful!!!!

I gave this book a rating of 3/5.

1 comment:

  1. I want to read this one! I love the cover - though I like Evermore and North of Beautiful Slightly betterR (:P Ever notice its the same girl?)

    ReplyDelete