Saturday, August 22, 2009

Book Review- Time Of My Life

From the inside cover:

Jillian Westfield has the perfect suburban life straight out of the upscale women's magazines that she obsessively reads. She's got the modern-print rugs of Metropolitan Home, the elegant meals from Gourmet, the clutter-free closets out of Real Simple, and the elaborate Easter egg hunts seen in Parents. With her successful investment-banker husband behind the wheel and her cherubic eighteen-month-old in the backseat, hers could be the family in the magazines' Range Rover ads.

Yet somehow all of the how-to magazine stories in the world can't seem to fix her faltering marriage, banish the tedium of days spent changing diapers, or stop her from asking "What if?"

Then one morning Jillian wakes up seven years in the past. Before her daughter was born. Before she married Henry. Suddenly, she's back in her post-grad school IKEA-furnished Manhattan apartment. She's back in her fast-paced job with the advertising agency. And she's still with Jackson, the ex-boyfriend and star of her what-if fantasies.

Armed with twenty-twenty hindsight, she's free to choose all over again. She can use the zippy ad campaigns from her future to wow the clients and bosses in her present. She can reconnect with the mother who abandoned her so many years before. She can fix the fights at every juncture that doomed her relationship with Jackson. Or can she?

With each new choice setting off a trajectory of unforseen consequences, Jillian soon realizes that getting to happily ever after is more complicated than changing the lines in her part of the script. Happiness, it turns out, isn't an either-or propisition. As she closes in on all the things she thought she wanted, Jillian must confront the greatest what-if of all: What if the problem was never Henry or Jackson, but her?

Sharp, funny, and heartwarming, Time of My Life will appeal to anyone who has ever wanted to redo the past and will leave readers pondering "Do we get the reality we deserve?"

I really enjoyed reading this story. Most of us have wondered "what if?" at some point in our life. And in my case, this story was one I could identify with. I really liked the premise of going back in time and seeing how different choices that you make shape and change your future. It helped to point out that we all have choices we can make in our life to make ourselves happy.

I really liked the character of Jillian. I found her to be real. I liked that she admitted that she didn't have the rush of love for her baby, that everyone claimed to have, right away, but that it snuck up on her and now her little girl was the love of her life. And I liked how she came to choose her future at the end.

This was a cute, fun read. I've heard that Time Of My Life is being made into a movie and I can't wait to see it!

I gave this book a rating of 4/5.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a read I`d really enjoy. Sounds sort of like the movie Sliding Doors in that you get to see the what if. I love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good review! This story sounds so unique :)

    -Briana

    ReplyDelete