Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Book Review- Captivate

I finished reading Captivate by Carrie Jones last night.

In Need, Zara and her friends figured out a way to solve the pixie problem--but they knew it was only temporary.  A new king, a much younger, good-looking, king comes into the picture and thinks that Zara is destined to be his queen.  Astley, the new king, thinks that pixies are like humans and that some are good and some are evil.  But when the trapped pixies become a problem once again, Zara must decide whether or not to turn into a pixie to keep her loved ones safe.

While I enjoyed Captivate, I didn't love it as much as I did Need.  Without giving away why, a little over halway through the book, it became so sad for me.  I felt so badly for Zara and could feel her pain.  That being said, I'm not sure what I feel about Astley, the new king.  While I love Nick, the werewolf and Zara's boyfriend, I found myself at times loving Astley too.  I couldn't decide if he was truly a good pixie, or if he was just scheming and tricking Zara.  The ending of the book is a definite cliffhanger for me, and I can't wait to read the third book in the series!

I gave this book a rating of 4/5.

This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2010 100+ Reading Challenge: 3
2010 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 3
TwentyTen Reading Challenge: New in 2010 #1
ARC Reading Challenge 2010: 2

*FTC Disclosure: This book was given to me for free by Anna at Bloomsbury USA for a honest review.

4 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you opinion!! Your the first person I've read for that had mix feeling about this book, thanks for the honest review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I haven't read Need yet or this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice review...the writing must be good to affect you like that. Beautiful cover ..I am not overly familiar with the books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just read your reviews for Need and Captivate and they've got me very curious about the series, I'll have to check for them at the library. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete