Sunday, January 10, 2010

Book Review- Gone

I just finished reading Gone by Lisa McMann.

Janie knew that she had to make a choice--continue to be a dream catcher and still live around those she loved (like her boyfriend Cabel) and become blind with gnarled hands in her twenties or live in isolation.  And she thought that she had made her choice.  But when a stranger comes into her world--who turns out to be her father--everything changes.  Even though he is in a coma, she finds ways to learn a little about him and in turn a little more about her herself and her future. She realizes that the choices she thought she had were now a little more twisted and that she would have to choose between the lesser of two evils.

I enjoyed this book more than I did Wake or Fade.  Once again, I had a hard time realizing what was going on, because not a lot of back story is told.  Luckily, I had my blog going when I read Fade so I could go back and read my review of that so I remembered more.  I think we get a better feel of Janie in this story.  I feel warmth from her when she is dealing with her dad.  And I can feel her pain in having to make a choice about her future.  And once again, I loved Cabel.  He seems like such a sweet guy.  He would do anything for Janie and cares about her greatly.  And even though Janie's mom is an alcoholic and could compete for the worst mother-of-the-year award, I fell like we may have learned WHY she is the way she is and I felt a little sorry for her.  This is the last book in the trilogy, and while I would love to know more about Janie's future, I think it ended on the right note and leaves us feeling hopeful.

I gave this book a rating of 3.5/5.

This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
A to Z Challenge: M
2010 100+ Reading Challenge: 6
2010 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 6
TwentyTen Reading Challenge: Win! Win! #1
ARC Reading Challenge 2010: 5

*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free by Melyssa from Book Divas for an honest review.

6 comments:

  1. Great review, I really liked Wake and Fade so I cant wait to see what Gone holds in store...

    Ending on a hopeful note is nice...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fade and Wake weren't astounding for me but I still enjoyed them and am certainly looking forward to this one. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am still not sure if I want to read these books yet. But thanks for the honest review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I'm curious to see how this series ends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read any of these books yet, but love the cover and they all sound good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review. I loved Wake and Fade and have been waiting for Gone. I'm glad to hear you liked it best of the 3. I've been a little nervous about it. Sometimes the final book in a series can make or break it altogether.

    ReplyDelete