Sunday, January 10, 2010

Book Review- The Naughty List

I just finished reading The Naughty List by Suzanne Young for an Around the World Tour.

From Goodreads.com:

As if being a purrfect cheerleader isn’t enough responsibility!

Tessa Crimson’s the sweet and spunky leader of the SOS (Society of Smitten Kittens), a cheer squad–turned–spy society dedicated to bringing dastardly boyfriends to justice, one cheater at a time. Boyfriend-busting wouldn’t be so bad . . . except that so far, every suspect on the Naughty List has been proven 100% guilty!

When Tessa’s own boyfriend shows up on the List, she turns her sleuthing skills on him. Is Aiden just as naughty as all the rest, or will Tessa’s sneaky ways end in catastrophe?

The Naughty List. Is your boyfriend on it?
 
This book was another quick, cute read.  When I first read the title, I thought it was going to be about something completely different.  But a story about cheerleaders who are spies on the side to catch cheaters?  I'm in!  It was nice to read about cheerleaders in positive way.  Most stories show all cheerleaders as airheaded (and coming from a girl who spent her whole childhood cheering, knows this isn't true!)  I do have to say that the way Tessa spoke bothered me.  Everything was all "Strawberry smoothie" and other cutesy words instead of bad words.  That's not very realistic.  But other than that, I loved that Tessa was portrayed as being smart, and enjoyed it. 
 
I also really liked Aiden.  He seemed so sweet (although I have to admit, at times I thought that it was going to come out that he was gay or something) and he was so into Tessa.  And I thought one of the other cheerleaders, Kira, was adorable.  She was always there for Tessa and I just really liked her personality.
 
As for the plot--some of it was far-fetched.  I can't really see high school girls going all high tech and climbing up houses to catch cheaters, but the main idea was fun.  And it made me feel paranoid!  Having personally been in a relationship where I was cheated on a bunch, I could completely relate to how paranoid Tessa was feeling about his relationship with another girl. 
 
There were some definite twists and turns in the story that I didn't see coming.  And the ending made me sad.  I suppose it was supposed to be a happy ending, but it made me feel melancholy and I went up and curled up with my boyfriend.  But that didn't stop me from loving the book (not every story has to end the way I think it should, or happily for me to love it).  And I can't wait to read the next book in the series, So Many Boys.
 
I gave this book a rating of 4/5.
 
This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
A to Z Challenge: Y
2010 100+ Reading Challenge: 5
2010 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 5
2010 Debut Author Challenge: 3
TwentyTen Reading Challenge: Bad Blogger's #1
ARC Reading Challenge 2010: 4

 
*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Around the World Tours.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the thoughtful review.
    I squelched my envy at your being able to read it.
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this book on my shelf to review.. After reading your review I am going to have to start it!
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of those times I'm really glad I read the review. If I'd just seen the book and read the back there's no way I'd have even taken it home from the library.

    ReplyDelete