Sunday, January 3, 2010

Book Review- Magic Under Glass

I just finished reading Magic Under Glass by Jaclyn Dolamore.

From the back cover:

Nimira is a music-hall performer used to dancing for pennies.  So when wealthy sorcerer Hollin Parry hires her to sing accompaniment to an mysterious piano-playing automaton, Nimira believes it will be the start of a better life. In Parry's world, long-buried secrets are about to stir. Unsettling rumours begin to swirl about ghosts, a madwoman roaming the halls, and Parry's involvement with a league of sorcerers who torture fairies for sport. When Nimira discovers that the spirit of a dashing young fairy gentleman is trapped within the automaton, she is determined to break the curse.  But even as the two fall into a love that seems hopeless, breaking the curse becomes a perilous race against time.   Because it's not just the future of these star-crossed lovers that's at stake, but the fate of the entire magical world.

The premise of Magic Under Glass immediately caught my attention.  A girl who falls in love with an automaton who is really a fairy gentleman trapped in the clockwork body is right up my alley! 

I do have to say that I couldn't quite connect with Nimira.  I'm not sure if it was because it was set in a different time/country or what, but I just didn't get as much from her as I would have liked.  I did fall for Erris (the automaton) though.  Right from the beginning, when he and Nim started their connection, I found him endearing and so badly wanted him to be set free.  And I couldn't decide about Hollin--sometimes I found him to be a villain, but at other times I found him wanting so badly to be a hero and do the right thing.  Did he?  You'll just have to read to find out!

The premise was a great story.  I think it could have been longer and I would have continued to enjoy it.  I think (and hope) the ending was set up for there to be a sequel and will definitely be looking to read it if there is one!

Magic Under Glass is a story about magic, and about fighting for the ones you love.

I gave this book a rating of 3.5/5.

This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
A to Z Reading Challenge: D
2010 100+ Reading Challenge: 1
2010 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 1
2010 Debut Author Challenge: 1
TwentyTen Reading Challenge: Young Adult #1
ARC Reading Challenge 2010: 1

*FTC Disclosure:  This book was given to me for free by Anna at Bloomsbury USA for a honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment