Saturday, January 9, 2010

Book Review- A Match Made in High School

I just finished reading A Match Made in High School by Kristin Walker for Around the World Tours.

Summary from Goodreads.com:

When the principal announces that every senior must participate in a mandatory year-long Marriage Education program, Fiona Sheehan believes that her life can’t get any worse. Then she marries her “husband”: Jerky jock Todd, whose cheerleader girlfriend, Amanda, has had it in for Fiona since day one of second grade. Even worse? Amanda is paired with Fiona’s long-term crush, Gabe. At least Fiona is doing better than her best friend, Marcie, who is paired up with the very quiet, very mysterious Johnny Mercer. Pranks, fights, misunderstandings, and reconciliations ensue in an almost Shakespearean comedy of errors about mistaken first impressions, convoluted coupling, and hidden crushes.

First of all, let me say that I read this book in less than 24 hours.  It was pure fun!  And hilariously funny!  I found myself laughing outloud at several of the things that Fee said and thought.  And I also thought a lot of the pranks that Fee and Todd pulled were great (although I think in real life there would have been disciplinary actions taken).

This book was full of great characters.  You couldn't help but love Fee who is funny and tells everyone what she thinks.  She proclaims that she only has one friend but she seems secure in who she is.  And I loved Todd.  Yes, he is a macho-jerk, most of the time.  But you can tell that he's being a jerk in kindergarten type way---he is mean to show he cares.  I even liked Amanda, who was the cheerleader but she did have a hidden sensitive side.  I didn't however really fall for Johnny like a lot of other blogger seem to have.  I liked what I knew about him, but I feel that I just didn't know enought about him (besides that he liked music and was sweet to Fee).  And I didn't like Marcie.  Without giving anything away, I don't think what she did was forgivable--at least I wouldn't be so forgiving.

As for the plot--it was fun.  I think I would have been one of those dorks who actually liked the project--being married and having to figure out budgets and stuff.  Although I suppose it probably would have depended on who I was attached to.  There were some twists in the book, but I figured them out in advance.  The only one I didn't see coming was the surprise about Fee's crush, Gabe.  And while the ending was good and made sense and was happy, I was hoping for a different happy ending.  But either way, this was a funny read about not judging people based solely what they appear to be from a distance.

I gave this book a rating of 3.5/5.

This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
A to Z Challenge: W
2010 100+ Reading Challenge: 4
2010 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 4
2010 Debut Author Challenge:
TwentyTen Reading Challenge: Young Adult #2
ARC Reading Challenge 2010: 3

*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Around the World Tours.

2 comments: