Sunday, January 31, 2010

Book Review- Dead Until Dark

I finally read the first Sookie book-- Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris.

From Goodreads:

Sookie Stackhouse is a cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana, but she keeps to herself and doesn't date much because of her "disability" to read minds. When she meets Bill, Sookie can't hear a word he's thinking. He's the type of guy she's waited for all of her life, but he has a disability, too--he's a vampire with a bad reputation. When one of Sookie's coworkers is killed, she fears she's next.

I have heard so much hype about the Sookie Stackhouse books so I went about collecting all of them and I finally got around to reading the first one.  And maybe because there was so much hype about them and my expectations were so high, but it just wasn't that spectacular to me.  Don't get me wrong--I enjoyed it.  But I didn't fall in love with it.

I'm not sure how I feel about Sookie.  I didn't really like her all that much.  Maybe she's too "hard" or "tough" for me.  I don't know.  But I did like Bill, the vampire, and Sam the bar owner. 

The plot definitely got me though.  Often, I can peg who the killer is but not in this book.  I had several guesses, but none of them were correct.  I love books like that!

I look forward to reading Living Dead in Dallas next!

I gave this book a rating of 3.5/5.

This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
Stookie Stackhouse Reading Challenge: Dead Until Dark
2010 100+ Reading Challenge: 17
TwentyTen Reading Challenge: T.B.R. #1

*FTC Disclosure: I traded this book with a friend.

1 comment:

  1. I feel the same way about the series. I've read the first 3 books and I still don't understand the hype surrounding them. When I read the first two, I kept comparing it to True Blood. I figured that once I read book 3, I wouldn't have anything to compare it to. And I still didn't like it. Like you, I don't like Sookie at all.

    ReplyDelete