Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Book Review- Eyes Like Stars

I just finished reading Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev.

From Goodreads.com:

 Enter Stage Right

All her world's a stage.
Beatrice Shakespeare Smith is not an actress, yet she lives in a theater.
She is not an orphan, but she has no parents.
She knows every part, but has no lines of her own.
Until now.

Welcome to the Théâtre Illuminata, where the characters of every place ever written can be found behind the curtain. They were born to play their parts, and are bound to the Théâtre by The Book—an ancient and magical tome of scripts. Bertie is not one of them, but they are her family—and she is about to lose them all and the only home she has ever known.

Lisa Mantchev has written a debut novel that is dramatic, romantic, and witty, with an irresistible and irreverent cast of characters who are sure to enchant the audience.


Open Curtain
 
I have read so many wonderful reviews of this book and was so looking forward to reading it.  Unfortunately, this book just didn't do it for me.  And I hate that!  I loved the idea of the story--all about a theatre and the characters that are bound to it.  I loved the scene changes and all the theatre terminology.  But there was just something about the story that didn't draw me in. 
 
I couldn't connect or feel any warmth from Beatrice and maybe that's why I didn't really get into it.  I did however absoutely love the fairies, especially the girl one named Peaseblossom.  The fairies were just what I always picture in my head--tiny little things with wings that are fiesty and full of fun.  And the fairies in this story were just that! 
 
The ending of the story definitely surprised me.  I had no clue who Beatrice's mother was!  The ending is definitely a cliffhanger.  I want to know who Beatrice's father is and I want to know what happened to Nate.  So while I can't rave about this book, I will be picking up the sequel, Perchance to Dream, when it comes out in May.
 
I gave this book a rating of 3/5.
 
This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2010 100+ Reading Challenge: 12 
2010 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 11
ARC Reading Challenge 2010: 10
*FTC Disclosure: I traded this book with a friend.

3 comments:

  1. Nice honest review! I've heard some great reviews on this book too but I haven't read it yet. It sucks that it didn't live up to all the hype, I wonder what I'll think of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the honest review :) I haven't read this one yet, still on TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy your honesty. To be honest myself, I have it on my shelf and just haven't read it yet because all the other books I am reading are form the library and I have to return them soon so I give them priority. I think I will read it though and see what I think of it.

    ReplyDelete