Thursday, January 28, 2010

Book Review- Mr. Darcy Broke My Heart

I finished reading Mr. Darcy Broke My Heart by Beth Pattillo last last night.

From Goodreads:

Claire Prescott is a sensible woman who believes in facts and figures, not fairy tales. But when she agrees to present a paper to a summer symposium at Oxford on her ailing sister's behalf, Claire finds herself thrown into an adventure with a gaggle of Jane Austen-loving women all on the lookout for their Mr. Darcy. Claire isn't looking for Mr. Anyone. She's been dating Neil -- a nice if a bit negligent -- sports fanatic. But when a tall, dark and dashing stranger crosses her path, will the staid Claire suddenly discover her inner romantic heroine? Her chance meeting with a mysterious woman who claims to have an early version of Austen's Pride and Prejudice -- in which Lizzie ends up with someone other than Fitzwilliam Darcy -- leads to an astounding discovery about the venerated author's own struggle to find the right hero for Lizzie Bennett. Neil's unexpected arrival in Oxford complicates Claire's journey to finding her own romantic lead. Mr. Darcy Broke My Heart is the story of a woman who finds that love isn't logical and that a true hero can appear in the most unexpected of places.

It's been a while since I've read a chick-lit story and I forgot how much I enjoyed them!  Right off the bat, let me say that I'm not a Jane Austen fan.  Not that I dislike her, just that I'm not crazy about her like I know some people are, and honestly I don't remember much about the books (or the movies for that matter).  But that didn't stop me from enjoying this story.

Yes, some parts I was a little lost in since I didn't remember much from the Jane Austen novels.  But take that part out and I really liked the love story part of the book.  I liked how Claire had a struggle between two men and her feelings for them.  And I liked how she was finding herself.  There was a small towards then end that was a definite surprise to me and I really liked the ending.  I thought it would go a different way, but I am glad that it ended the way that it did.  I like happily ever afters!

I gave this book a rating of 3.5/5.

This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2010 100+ Reading Challenge: 14
ARC Reading Challenge 2010: 12
2010 Chick Lit Challenge: 1

*FTC Disclosure:  I received a copy of this book from the publicist for an honest review.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not so much into Jane Austen either, but this one sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete